University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicines


Applying
| Calendars | Contact | News & Events

Prospective StudentsCurrent StudentsAlumni and FriendsFaculty and StaffVeterinarians

About the College

Departments

Teaching & Research

Giving to Vet Med

Teaching Hospital

Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (VMDL)

CVM Employment

Zalk Veterinary Medical Library

CVM Course Materials

MyZou

Home

 

News and Events

Plaques Memorialize
Founders’ Contributions

Members of the MU College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 1958 recently unveiled bronze plaques commissioned to honor two of the College’s founders. Local sculptor Sabra Tull Meyer created the plaques, which feature the likenesses of Dr. Aaron Holland Groth and Dr. Stanley N. Smith.

Groth served as dean during the transition of what is now the College of Veterinary Medicine from a department within the College of Agriculture to the School of Veterinary Medicine in 1949. His leadership in bringing together the faculty has been credited with ensuring that the first class of 1950 graduated with the degree of DVM and in bringing about the future success of the College. Smith, a professor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, brought his clinical practice to MU in order to provide the school with the clientele needed for AVMA accreditation.

The Class of 1958 paid tribute to these two leaders by collecting the contributions needed for the plaques. The plaque honoring Smith will be displayed in the reception area of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital’s Large-Animal Clinic. Groth’s plaque is on display in the Veterinary Medicine Building Auditorium.

Renowned Columbia sculptor Sabra Tull Meyer removes the covering to reveal the plaque dedicated to Dr. Stanley Smith as retired faculty member Dr. George Shelton (front left), Dr. Charles Middleton, DVM ’58 (front center) and other members of the Class of 1958 and former instructors look on.

 

 

Dr. Charles ‘Bud’ Middleton, DVM ’58, who spearheaded the effort to have bronze plaques created in honor of Dr. A. H. Groth and Dr. Stanley Smith, unveils the Groth memorial as classmates, former instructors and the sculptor who created the works, Sabra Tull Meyer, watch.

 

 

Columbia sculptor Sabra Tull Meyer displays one of the bronze plaques she created honoring two of the founders of the College of Veterinary Medicine. She is flanked by members of the Class of 1958 who helped organize the effort to commission the plaques, Dr. Allen Hahn (left) and Dr. Charles ‘Bud’ Middleton.

 

 

The bronze plaque honoring Dr. Stanley Smith will be displayed in the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital Large-Animal Clinic.

 

 

The bronze plaque honoring Dr. A. H. Groth is on display in the Veterinary Medicine Building Auditorium.

 

 

Margaret Niemeyer, wife of retired CVM faculty member Dr. Kenneth Niemeyer, greets Dr. Charles ‘Bud’ Middleton and CVM Dean Dr. Neil Olson during a reception following the unveiling of plaques honoring Dr. Stanley Smith and Dr. A.H. Groth.

 

 

Members of the Class of 1958 and their spouses enjoy a buffet lunch following the dedication of plaques honoring CVM founders Dr. Stanley Smith and Dr. A.H. Groth.

 

 

Members of the Class of 1958 donated the funds to commission the plaques honoring Dr. Stanley Smith and Dr. A.H. Groth.

 

 

Dr. Charles ‘Bud’ Middleton (left) greets fellow Class of 1958 member Dr. William Dierberg during the reception following the dedication of the plaques honoring two of the CVM founders.

 

 

Retired CVM faculty member Dr. George Shelton (right) visits with Dr. John Rhoades, DVM ’61, during the reception held following the unveiling of plaques to honor college founders Dr. Stanley Smith and Dr. A.H. Groth.

 

 

Retired CVM faculty member Dr. Larry Morehouse visits with CVM Librarian Trenton Boyd prior to the unveiling of the plaques honoring Dr. Stanley Smith and Dr. A.H. Groth.

 

 

MU CVM Dean Dr. Neil Olson welcomes the Class of 1958 and other guests to the unveiling of the plaques honoring two of the College’s founders.

 

 

After the plaques honoring two of the College’s founders are unveiled in the Veterinary Medicine Building Auditorium, attendees of the event took the opportunity to greet new acquaintances and reminisce with old friends.

 

 

 

Return to News and Events home

College of Veterinary Medicine
W-203 Veterinary Medicine Building
Columbia, MO 65211
Phone: (573) 882-3554
E-mail: cvmwebmaster@missouri.edu
Like us on Facebook
©2005 Curators of the University of Missouri
DMCA and other copyright information.
an equal opportunity/ADA institution

Last Update: February 24, 2012