Former Professor and Director
of the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory Passes Away
Dr. Lawrence G. Morehouse, professor emeritus of veterinary pathology and retired director of the veterinary diagnostic laboratory at the University of Missouri, died of congestive heart failure on Wednesday, March 2, 2011, at Boone Hospital Center. He was 85.
A reception and visitation will be in the Fellowship Hall of Trinity Presbyterian from noon until 2 on Friday, March 11, 2011, followed immediately by the funeral service in the sanctuary. In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the Missouri Symphony Society, 203 S. 9th Street, Columbia, MO. 65201.
Dr. Morehouse was born on a farm near Manchester, Kansas, on July 21, 1925. He graduated from a one room schoolhouse and Abilene High School. He served in the Pacific as a pharmacist’s mate during World War II before returning to Kansas State University where he earned his BS and DVM in 1952. After a year of practice in the St. Louis area, he went to Purdue University. While he was working on his MS and PhD, he also served as the director of the USDA’s brucellosis laboratory. He married Georgia Lewis in Lafayette, Ind., on October 6, 1956.
From 1960 until 1963, he worked for the USDA out of Washington, DC and later, at the newly established National Animal Disease Laboratory in Ames, Iowa. In 1964, he accepted a position as professor and chairman of the department of veterinary pathology at the University of Missouri. In 1968, he became the organizing director of the Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory and served in that capacity until he was named professor emeritus in 1987. During his career, Dr. Morehouse authored or co-authored more than 100 scientific publications dealing with diseases of livestock, laboratory and companion animals. He was co-editor of a three volume encyclopedic work on fungal toxins. He was a member of a large number of professional organizations including the American and Missouri Veterinary Medical Associations, The American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians where he served as president and was recipient of its prestigious E.P. Pope award, The World Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians ( secretary/ treasurer), the U. S. Animal Health Association, Sigma Xi, The Royal Society of Health and many more.
In his retirement, his interest in genealogy led to his publishing a Morehouse Family genealogy. At the urging of his wife and children, he wrote an autobiography entitled “The Nine Lives of L. G. Morehouse”. He was a member of the M. Graham Clark Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution as well as the Mayflower Society. He also served as president of the MU Retiree’s Association. Dr. Morehouse was a long time member of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Columbia, where he served several terms as elder and also as clerk of session. He was passionate about his love of music, especially opera and served on the board of the Missouri Symphony Society.
He is survived by his wife, Georgia, a son, Timothy Morehouse, his wife Kara and their sons Gabriel and Elijah, of New Jersey, and a daughter, Glenn Morehouse Olson, her husband Joel and their daughters, Zoey, Abilene and Jolie.
Return to News and Events home